After one sip, you’ll be hanging from the yardarm.
Rum, pirates and sailing the high seas, they go together like baseball and groin scratching. Sailors of yesteryear were rationed rum, usually mixed with water or beer to make what was called grog. The Royal Navy started this tradition of serving grog to seamen back in the 1700’s, the practice was adopted by pirates who called it Bumbo. Wish I was a deck hand back in those days.
During my recent trip to Grenada, the good people of Island Windjammers had a bottle Clarke’s Court Old Grog Rum waiting in my cabin aboard the Diamant. Thanks guys! I used the rum to mix in rum punch and to slowly sip while watching the moon trace across the sky over the Caribbean. I left what was left aboard the Diamant but knew I had to pick up another bottle at the airport upon my exit.
Below is a video of your favorite Caribbean blogger trying to do a tasting of Old Grog and mixing up newly created cocktail on a dock with no real mixing tools. Yes, I made a mess. Not unexpected. The cocktail…the Excited Pirate. See what makes this buccaneer swing from the rigging.
Old Grog Rum & The Excited Pirate Cocktail Recipe
As I promised in the highly professional multimillion dollar video, information about Clarke’s Court Old Grog Rum. From the Ministry of Rum.
Dark brown rum distilled from fermented molasses. Blend of rum 4 to 10 years old in used whisky and bourbon barrels. A complex, premium sipping rum. The different rums in this blend come through to give this rum a flavor and after taste that include hints of smoky oak. According to the distillery, in the early days when the best Grenada rum was shipped to his Majesty George III of England, the casks were marked G.R.O.G. for Georgius Rex Old Grenada.
Here is the recipe for the Excited Pirate Boat Drink.
- 2oz. Old Grog Rum (other dark rum may be used)
- 2oz. Red Bull
- 2oz. Coconut Water
- 4oz. Fruit Punch (Stave off scurvy)
Mixing Instructions: Add ingredients and ice into a mixer. Shake. Pour into tall glass with ice. Raise glass and toast.
Free free to use other fruit juices beside regular fruit punch. I like to use the V8 Splash juice combinations.
Let me know if you’ve tried Old Grog Rum and what you thought. Next time you’re fumbling through the kitchen trying to prepare a cocktail, mix up an Excited Pirate or two. You’ll enjoy it, I promise.
The fun will be hosted by yours truly and will include a rum tasting, a complimentary bottle of Cruzan Rum in your room, a sunset sail, a rum snorkel scavenger hunt, nightly entertainment and Castaway room discounts. Take a break from the Winter and come lime Castaway style in the US Virgin Islands! Click here for booking and details. Can’t wait to hangout with everyone on the warm sands of St. Thomas!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page