After one sip, you could easily commit a Cuban crime of passion.
Do you like rum? Of course you do, why else would you be reading this story. Today’s Boat Drinks cocktail recipe has mucho rum in it, so I hope you truly do love this rowdy spirit. Let me introduce you to the Cuban Crime of Passion cocktail.
As most of you Parrotheads know, Cuban Crime of Passion is the name of a song off the A White Sport Coat And A Pink Crustacean album, written by Jimmy Buffett and Tom Corcoran. The lyrics tell the story of a piano player named Billy from Miami, he did a gig in Havana and met a pretty little thing, they fell in love and all was groovy. Then he came back one night only to find her in the arms of a shrimper named Dan. Well as you can imagine Billy was quite upset and took old shrimper Dan’s life. That is what they refer to as a Cuban crime of passion. What that has to do with rum I have no idea, but I’m thirsty so let’s get to mixin’.
I’m curious, how many other Buffett songs have drinks named after them? I’m not sure but I bet it’s more than a dozen. Here is the recipe for the rum soaked Cuban Crime of Passion drink.
Cuban Crime of Passion Cocktail Recipe
- 1 part Pineapple Juice
- 1 part Triple Sec
- 1 part Captain Morgan Parrot Bay Coconut Rum
- 1 part Bacardi White Rum
- 1 part Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum (Sub with Havana Club Añejo Especial)
Mixing Instructions: In a mixing glass filled with ice add the rums and Triple Sec. Then add the Pineapple Juice, shake and pour into a tall glass. Raise glass and toast.
As you can see the recipe asks for a Captain Morgan Spiced Rum. Boring. If you’re going to have a drink called the Cuban Crime of Passion you better add a taste of Cuba to it. Problem is getting your hands on some Havana Club Rum. Damn embargo. So if you happen to have a bottle that you got from Canada or somewhere in the Caribbean, definitely substitute it for the Captain Morgan.
Enjoy the Boat Drink everyone and keep an eye out for those shrimp boat captains, they have an eye on your lady.
- Get your flight with Skyscanner or AirfarewatchDog (between them, you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page