Sanibel Island listed as Arthur Frommer’s top destination? Yeah right.
Last night I had just gotten home from a little run down the street. I walked in the door, clicked on the tube to the local news and slammed a Gatorade trying to cool off. The excited news anchor was gushing how Southwest Florida’s own Sanibel Island had just topped Arthur Frommer’s “Favorite Destinations” list for 2012. Now our news anchors down here aren’t exactly grade A superstars, so errors sometimes do happen. Maybe they misunderstood Frommer’s list and are just saying Sanibel was in the top spot.
Still dripping with sweat (sexy, I know) I sat down at the computer and Google Frommer’s list. I find what I’m looking for on the Chicago Tribune, Arthur Frommer’s favorite travel destinations. There it was, right in front of my eyes, Sanibel Island, the seashell capital of the US, atop Frommer’s distinguished list. News person got it right!
Travel magnate, Arthur Frommer says the leisure enjoyed during the holiday season is a perfect time in which to plan future vacations. So he compiled a list of his own favorite destinations…it just so happens there are 10 of them.
Here is Frommer’s Top 10 Favorite Destinations
9. New York City’s Greenwich Village
8. Chiang Rai, Thailand
7. Yachats, the Oregon Coast
6. Bonaire, one of the ABC islands of the Southern Caribbean
5. Cairo, Egypt
4. St. John in the U.S. Virgin Islands
3. Paris, France
2. The Island of Bali, in Indonesia
1. Sanibel Island, Florida
Living just a short 35 minute drive from Sanibel, I sometimes pop over to the island for a little staycation time. The $6.00 toll to get on to the island is a little steep but the beauty is worth it. Sanibel is full of amazing seashell covered beaches, small boutique shops and just a laid back attitude. Home to the Ding Darling Nature Preserve which takes up more than half the island, it provides a home to thousands of birds, fish and I believe even some American Salt Water Crocodiles. If you haven’t been you should check it out.
Here is an Island Lime Video I shot on Sanibel a couple months ago. It’s easy to get lost in the beauty and the sound of the waves.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page