A guest post by JC Perez, author of Heisting the Beard.
We’ve all heard of the Duval crawl. That famous street in Key West that immediately brings thoughts of rum soaked nights and partying at places like Sloppy Joe’s after a long day at Smather’s beach. Well, we could easily argue that the father of the crawl was Ernest Hemingway, the hard drinking, heavy partying, Noble Prize winning author; Papa himself. Hemingway was drinking hard and partying away the nights well before the crawl ever got its name, and Key West is not the only place he was doing the crawl back to his hotel room after a long raucous night of slinging down rum.
Havana was probably the first, well before Key West became famous for its partying nature. The tight alley type streets of the forbidden isle’s capital, Havana, was the home to the bohemian set, the intellectuals, artists and writers who had a predilection for the taste of rum and its effects on loosening up your inner being and wild side. The stars of yesteryear like Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy, and Hemingway, the father of American literature, all did the crawl in good ole Havana. Maybe we all owe them a bit of gratitude for initiating that great tradition we enjoy today which allows us to let our hair down and enjoy our wild side. What goes on in Vegas stays in Vegas; HELL; what goes on during the crawl stays in the crawl should be the slogan.
P.S. - Leaving soon? These recommended links below will help you save money and book your trip:
- Grab a Caribbean Preferred Card. It will save you a ton of money. It gives you access to the largest collection of island discounts & promotions. Click here to learn more.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page