Magens Bay is St. Thomas’ most popular beach. It’s a slightly crescent, mile long stretch of white sand that is postcard perfect. On the morning we were exploring the blue water was calm with only gentle waves that massaged your ankles as they washed by. Magens gradually deepens making it perfect for small children to play and adults to simply float away. The bay is protected by lush green mountains on either side and has a centerpiece island sitting out in front of the bay’s opening.
Magens Bay is the only beach on St. Thomas that has an entry fee; funds are used to maintain the facilities and the beach. What sort of facilities you ask. You can find a restaurant/bar that serves pizza, burgers, snacks and cold beer. I wouldn’t call Magens Bay a snorkelers paradise. The bay has mostly a sandy bottom but you can find some rocks on the left (west) side that might give you some snorkeling structure to explore.
Magens Bay, St. Thomas USVI
The beach is a popular stop on island tour itineraries and can get crowded on days when there are several cruise ships in port. Most beach goers pick a spot close to the restaurant area, so typically if you walk down the shore where the snorkeling rocks I mentioned are, away form the concession are you’ll find fewer people. But really, there’s never a bad time to go, it’s the freakin’ best beach on island! Go and enjoy.
P.S. - Leaving soon? These recommended links below will help you save money and book your trip:
- Grab a Caribbean Preferred Card. It will save you a ton of money. It gives you access to the largest collection of island discounts & promotions. Click here to learn more.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page