Grab some beads and raise those glasses, it’s Fat Tuesday! Time to kick off Mardi Gras the right way, with a Hurricane.
Ground zero for Mardi Gras is of course New Orleans and the famed Bourbon Street. But just because you can’t be there living it up, doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate! Head to your local watering hole or your kitchen, it’s time mix up the drink of New Orleans, the Hurricane.
The hurricane claims to be invented by Pat O’Brien in 1940s. As with most cocktails, the original creation is disputed. But for our purposes we’ll go with Pat O’Brien. This Hurricane lives up to its name, the cocktail is famous for getting Bourbon Street tourists a little sideways. Heavy on the rum and heavy on taste. The Hurricane will have you partying Mardi Gras style in no time.
- 2oz. Dark Rum
- 2oz. Light Rum
- 1/20z. Lime Juice
- 2oz. Passion Fruit Juice
- 1oz. Mango Juice
Mixing Instructions: Pour ingredients into ice filled mixer. Shake and strain into a rocks glass with ice. Garnish with orange slices and a cherry.
I’ve seen many different recipes for the Hurricane. Some with all dark rum, some with just passion fruit for the mixer, others with orange and pineapple juice. The constants need to be rum and passion fruit juice, so that you end up with a nice red color that screams drink me. For my recipe I went with a light & dark rum combination, splash of lime, the required Passion Fruit Juice and a little Mango Juice to shake things up a bit. Sounds good right? Just wait till you taste it.
Enjoy Fat Tuesday Castaways! Let me know if you mix yourself up a Hurricane tonight. Post a photo of yours on the RSR Facebook page! We would love to see your creation!
(Lead photo from fineartamerica.com – Artist Dianne Parks)
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page