Break out the tequila and salt, it’s National Margarita Day!
Of course one of the most popular cocktails on planet Earth is going to have a day dedicated just to it. I mean, if were going to have a National Tie Your Shoes Day, we better have a National Margarita Day! Lucky for us today is the that day, February 22nd I love you.
Was it a Texas socialite in Acapulco who was looking for something to refresh her party guests on a hot afternoon, or a bartender in Tijuana hoping to impress Rita Hayworth (née Margarita Cansino) with a drink in her honor? Regardless of who invented the margarita—the stories are legend—the tart blend of tequila, cointreau, and lime juice in a glass rimmed with salt has become synonymous with Mexico and good times.
Our friends at Margaritaville held a National Margarita Day drink recipe contest to celebrate the day. How would you like to be a judge in that contest? Yeah, me too. The winning recipe was for a Raspberry Lemonade Margarita, submitted by Pam from Alpharetta, GA. Congrats Pam! Here is the winning recipe.
Raspberry Lemonade Margarita
- 2oz. Frozen Lemonade Concentrate
- 2oz. Margaritaville Gold Tequila
- 2oz. Margaritaville Triple Sec
- About a dozen Fresh Raspberries
Mixing Instructions: Add ice to your frozen concoction maker. Add ingredients to the blender. Blend and pour into margarita glass. Raise glass and toast.
More Margarita Recipes
Red Bull Margarita
- 2 oz Jose Cuervo® Especial gold tequila
- 3 oz Red Bull® energy drink
- 1 oz triple sec
- 3 oz Sweet and Sour
Mixing Instructions: Prechill a margarita glass. Shake all ingredients in a shaker full of ice and pour into the glass. Raise glass and toast!
We must really be thirsty.
On average, Americans consume 185,000 Margaritas per hour (Brown-Forman, 2008)
Atlanta, Miami, St. Louis and Nashville are among the best major metro cities for the Margarita (Cheers On-Premise Handbook 2008)
Vanilla, Chocolate, or Margarita?
The first frozen margarita machine was invented in 1971 and it was based off a soft-serve ice cream machine
We’re Number One!
The U.S. is the number one tequila market – larger and more important than Mexico (Cheers On-Premise Handbook 2008)
Data provided by Tequila Herradura, one of the oldest and most respected producers of tequila.
I hope all you Castaways are celebrating today with a delicious margarita. Come tonight I’ll be enjoying one as well. Before we close I have a couple questions for you.
- Salt or No Salt?
- Frozen or On The Rocks?
- Flavored or Original?
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page