One sip and you’ll surrender.
If you haven’t heard yet, Mr. Cabo Wabo, Mr. Red Rocker, Mr. I can’t drive 55 has a great new rum on the market. Sammy Hagar, best known for his tequila, has been working hard on his own brand of rum called Sammy’s Beach Bar Rum. I posted the Beach Bar Rum press release here a couple months ago letting people know all about the new spirit. When a new rock star rum like this is released it’s my duty to tell you Castaways all I can about it, and the best way to do that is by tasting it of course!
The good people at Sammy’s Beach Bar Rum sent me a bottle, and when I cracked it open for a little taste testing I knew I had to make a Boat Drink with it. I’m not usually not a big fan of cane rums or rum agricoles, of which Sammy’s Beach Bar Rum is, but once this Hawaiian born rum hit my lips, I knew it was different. I’ll go into more about how Beach Bar Rum is made in a bit, let’s get to that Boat Drink recipe!
Sammy’s Maui Rocker Video
Sammy’s Maui Rocker Cocktail Recipe
- 1.5oz. Beach Bar Rum
- 1.5oz. Pineapple Juice
- 1oz. Sour Mix
- .5oz. Orange Curacao
- Splash of Grenadine
Mixing Instructions: Shake with ice and strain into punch glass. Garnish with orange slice and pineapple. Raise glass and toast.
So why is Sammy’s Beach Bar Rum different than other cane rums? It has to do with their brand new still and the way the rum is made. Most cane rums are made from pressed sugarcane juice, Sammy’s Beach Bar Rum is made from Hawaiian slow pressed sugarcane. I’m going to let my buddy Carl Grooms from Coastlines & Tan Lines tell you about the fine details of the Beach Bar Rum making process. He does a much better job than I do at explaining that stuff. I’m more about the cocktails!
Handcrafted at the Haliimaile Distilling Company on Maui, the specialty rum is now available in retail outlets, restaurants and bars throughout Hawaii, with expansions to select Mainland states slated to begin in early 2012.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page