Wouldn’t it be the ultimate, to point at an island and say, “Yeah that ones mine.” You’d instantly be mentioned in the same breath as other island owners like Johnny Depp, Sir Richard Branson and David Copperfield. You’d have a picture of your island in your wallet or purse and show it off to strangers just like you would baby pictures. “Isn’t she so beautiful!”
Well if you have the dollars, 12 million of them, you could be the proud owner of your very own island in the Florida Keys. Located a quarter-mile off the Atlantic shore of Marathon, Fla., this small and private oasis on East Sister Rock Island is surrounded by white sand and coral reef. It comes complete with a 5,000 sq. ft. home with 360 degree views of the neon blue water.
Here’s what Erika Riggs of Zillow had to say about the property.
The Marathon home for sale is completely off-the-grid. It relies on solar panels on the roof and side of the house for power, and cisterns collect rainwater.
Built in 1980 as a family getaway spot, the home holds all the vacation essentials: a wrap-around porch measuring 2,700 square feet, private dock and 21-foot-long boat, which is included in the sale. The island also has a helipad for ease of transportation to the Marathon and Miami airports.
The Bahamas-style residence was updated in 2001 and features enormous windows and 19 sliding glass doors that open out to veranda. In addition to the three bedrooms and two bathrooms in the main home, there is a smaller, detached 1-bedroom, 1-bathroom guest house.
The owners, according to Arrieta, are listing the property because they no longer use the island as often as they’d like.
“When they bought this property, they had one small child and they spent a lot of time there,” he said. “Now they have four children that are almost grown and they don’t go to the island.”
The property is designed to be a vacation paradise. The coral reef surrounding the home is perfect for snorkeling and just off the home’s shores are plenty of fishing areas or other opportunities for water sports, explained Arrieta.
If you find the $12 million price tag a bit too much too swallow at once, the private isle is also available for rent: $5,000 a week.
Okay, so you don’t have $12,000,000 in cold hard green backs sitting around, neither do I. But here’s an idea. What if a thousand of us all chipped in $12,000 and bought the place. We could have multiple families spend one day there each year, with a new group coming in everyday. Sure it might not be ideal, but at least you’d be a proud parent and get show off photos of your baby to strangers, and say…yeah, that’s mine.
Cheers to Island Dreamin’
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page