After one sip, you’ll sail across the ocean for another.
If you were to ask any salty Caribbean soul what their favorite island cocktail is, you might get a few different answers. I’m guessing Rum Punch, the Bushwacker and the Killer Bee would all be on the list with a few others. But I’m willing to bet good money that the majority of people would say, without a doubt…the Painkiller.
I wrote about and posted the recipe for the famous PainKiller way back in 2009. It was one of my first posts and rightfully so. An island concoction that we Castaways hold so dear to our hearts deserves a little more time in the sun. So I packed up the Pussers Rum and the other PainKiller ingredient, jumped aboard my buddies boat, the Gypsy Soul, and headed North along the backside of Sanibel, Captiva and North Captiva islands. After about an hour and a half of cruising we beached on the soft sand of Cayo Costa to lime away the day. The perfect place to shoot a video for the perfect drink.
Soggy Dollar Bar Pain Killer Recipe:
- 2 oz Pussers Rum
- 1 oz cream of coconut
- 4 oz pineapple juice
- 1 oz orange juice
Mixing Instructions: Add all the ingredients to mixing glass. Shake well. Pour into glass with ice. Grate fresh nutmeg over the top. Raise glass and toast.
As you all know, ground zero for the PainKiller is the Soggy Dollar Bar on the island of Jost Van Dyke in the British Virgin Islands. No stay in the BVI is complete without hitting the sands of White Bay and drinking a few PainKillers at the Soggy Dollar. It’s nearly a religious experience.
If you have a good PainKiller story tell us about it below.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page