What’s your ultimate beach fantasy? Let’s see if I can take a guess, does it have something to do with blue water, spectacular natural surroundings and a feeling as if you’re the only person in the world. Did I come close? In the US it’s hard to find that secluded feeling, but if you look in the right places you can find it. One of those places is Cayo Costa State Park in Southwest Florida.
Cayo Costa (La Costa Island) is a barrier island located in Southwest Florida, it helps form the western side of Pine Island Sound and is North of Sanibel, Captiva and North Captiva Island. The only way to get there is by boat and if you are coming for Fort Myers Beach, which is where the Gypsy Soul is kept, it’s quite a haul. But you know what they say, if it were easy to get to, everyone would be doing it. And the lack of other bodies is what I love most about this place.
You can see Cayo Costa located in the upper left of this map. The little red dot is where we anchored and filmed this week’s Island Lime Video. There were a few other people that were enjoying our little beach anchorage that we like to call Gypsy Hole, but the crowd thinned out and you could easily find yourself on a stretch of sand where you were the only person in sight. Here is the Cayo Costa video, see if you can get lost as I did.
Cayo Costa – Island Lime Video
The dead trees that have become bleached in the sun make for a serene setting. Pelicans dive bomb their lunch, dolphins glide through the pass and the only sound you hear is the waves crashing onto the shore, it really is a perfect place.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page