Hi Castaways, here’s a guest post from Darryl Kotyk of LovingTheBike.com. Darryl is an island nut like us and is big into cycling. Enjoy his story of the Paradise Moon Bar on the island of Bonaire. Cheers!
I may be slightly biased, but in my opinion the best place to chill out and enjoy a beautiful Caribbean sunset in Bonaire has got to be Paradise Moon Bar and Restaurant.
That’s right, if you’re venturing over to the beautiful Dutch Caribbean island of Bonaire you are in for some amazing food, wonderful hospitality, and one incredible sunset view at this Bar and Grill. Paradise Moon is located along the boardwalk that runs along the capital town of Kralendijk, and sits just feet away from the majestic waters of the Caribbean sea.
Bonaire itself is known as the small Dutch island that plays a pioneering role in the preservation of nature, in particular the spectacular marine environment. This island provides the playground for some of the world’s best scuba diving, snorkeling, kite surfing, windsurfing, and so many other activities…including cycling.
That is where my biased opinion comes in as I mentioned earlier. You see, the owners of Paradise Moon Bar and Restaurant are Carl and Pam Perpich, who are originally from Texas. Carl just so happens to be a cycling fanatic like I am, hence the immediate attraction to his restaurant. With me being an Austin living, Bike Riding Loving guy…..how could I not like this place?
Carl has a history of cycling racing, commuting, and even the Race Across America (RAAM). Now that he’s living in Bonaire, he still commutes into the restaurant on his bike, and puts on as many road miles as time allows.
But I honestly do love Paradise Moon for more than the fact that the owner is a cyclist. It’s got an amazing vibe, very tasty food, and the prices are totally reasonable, considering its location (and the fact that it’s Bonaire). If you’re only interested in cocktails and boat drinks, they have a fun loving bar which also has that sought after sunset view.
Carl and Pam both completed chef school in 1991, and have since led a pretty exciting life. Carl worked for the Hard Rock Café and then moved over to the Rainforest Café, helping them set up new restaurants in the United States. Then in 2003 Carl and Pam came to Bonaire on a holiday and immediately fell in love. They purchased property on the island and planned on retiring there ten years later. Three years later, they changed plans and decided to move there much ahead of their 10 year plan.
I describe the Paradise Moon Bar and restaurant as a laid back place to top off a perfect day in Bonaire, and the owners describe it as “A fantastic place to meet people, party or sit back, relax & chill!”
More information on the Paradise Moon Bar and Restaurant can be found at:
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page