It’s Saturday afternoon and you stumble into One Love Bar on Jost Van Dyke in the BVI. The Caribbean sun is blazing and the only thing you care about is a cold Carib at the bar. As the golden nectar flows down your throat in a refreshing wash, your auditory sense begins to pick up the most wonderful sound. The producer of the sound sits in the corner of One Love and strums his special 12 string guitar. You have just found Reuben Chinnery.
I had heard the name Reuben Chinnery before but was pushed to dive into his island music a little more by Castaway Ryan Small. While staying at Ivan’s on Jost, Ryan was treated to the lovely music of Ivan’s brother, Reuben. He wrote me an email and said I need to look into this guy. I did. And I liked it. Thanks Ryan.
With a rich baritone voice and his classic guitar, Reuben Chinnery is one musician you do not want to miss if you’re in the BVI. You can mostly find him entertaining the crowds at One Love Bar, Soggy Dollar and of course Ivan’s.
Reuben’s playlist includes tasty original songs mixed with classics that everyone knows. “Come back to the islands”, “Sailing in the BVI”, “To The Islands” . . .Â the list goes on and on and every song will bring you back to the islands.
Below are a few samples of Rueben’s sweet island music.
Cover of Bob Marley’s Exodus by Reuben Chinnery
Reuben Chinnery – Today I started Loving You Again
Reuben Chinnery – Summertime
Reuben’s music can’t be found on iTunes, but I believe you can buy a CD from the One Love Bar’s website. I’m trying to track down a few other places to find his CDs as well.
Have you had the pleasure of sitting at a Jost beach bar and relaxing the day away with Reuben’s music? I would love to know what you thought.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page