After one sip, you’ll be chasing the rooster.
Barbados, an island that rolls off the tongue as smoothly as rum rolls across it. This eastern most island of the Caribbean is known for many things, but rum might be on the top of that list. Although Rihanna might be pushing hard for that tops spot. To a Castaway though, Barbados will always equal rum.
When you think of rum and Barbados, what’s the brand that smacks you in the face first? Most will say Mount Gay. While Mount Gay might be first in mind, Cockspur is a quality rum that should not be side stepped. In fact, I’m sipping on a nice glass of Cockspur 12 right now. Nothing like a liquid motivation!
This week’s Boat Drink recipe comes from the fine people of Cockspur rum and it’s called the Jam “Rita” Café. I’m not really a big fan of the name but the drink is Caribbean in a glass.
Jam “Rita” Café Boat Drink Recipe
- 2 oz. Cockspur Five Star Rum
- 1 oz Coconut Rum
- 1 oz. Triple Sec
- 1 oz. Pineapple Juice
- 1/2 oz. Coconut Milk
Mixing Instructions: Rim margarita glass with salt(optional). Fill with ice. Add ingredients into cocktail shaker and mix. Pour over ice and garnish with maraschino cherries. Raise glass and toast.
A Little History From The Cockspur Website
Cockspur rum was founded by Valdemar Hanschell in 1884. He was of Danish descent and came to Barbados via the Virgin Islands where he had worked for several years in the ship brokerage business. Settling in Barbados, which had become one of the biggest shipping ports in the Western Hemisphere at that time, he founded a ship chandlery, supplying to visiting ships – ropes, sails, salt, fresh fruit, meat and of course rum. Through the years, business thrived and so too did the popularity of Cockspur rum. He took on a partner, expanded his trade into exports and became Hanschell Larson. Cockspur became known internationally, continued to grow and through a later merger, Hanschell Inniss was formed. That company still blends and bottles Cockspur today.
Let me know if you mix this Boat Drink next time you’re feeling cocktail creative. Always love to hear what you guys think of these drinks!
(Lead drink photo from jessikerbakes.blogspot.com with bottle addition form yours truly.)
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page