Break out confetti and streamers, today is National Daiquiri Day! Gotta love these crazy holidays and the brilliant minds that thought them up. Just another reason to celebrate the island lifestyle!
Just a couple weeks ago it was National Pina Colada Day, and now the Daiquiri has its day in the sun. Too many drink holidays? Not enough if you ask me! When is National Rum Punch Day or National Painkiller Day, hell let’s give the simple rum and coke it’s own day, more the merrier!
To celebrate this fine occasion we’re going to make the classic Daiquiri made with Cruzan Light Rum. No getting fancy with this drink, no strawberries, no mangos, just a pure simple Daiquiri, the way Hemingway liked them.
Cruzan Classic Daiquiri
- 1 part Cruzan Aged Light Rum
- Splash of lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
Mixing Instructions: Combine ingredients into a mixing glass and shake well with ice. Serve in a rocks glass, or strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lime. Raise glass and toast.
On your way home from work today stop at your local tiki bar and ask for a Daiquiri. See if the bartender knows how to make a true classic Daiquiri. Are they going to muck it up and automatically add strawberry? It’s a test to see if a bartender is worth his salt. If a stop isn’t in the cards, grab a bottle of Cruzan Light Rum, break out the lime juice, sugar, and enjoy this classic cocktail at home. That’s what I’m going to do. I’ll post a photo on the RumShopRyan Facebook page later tonight. Share a photo of your own Daiquiri if you like. Can’t wait to celebrate!
Two weeks ago when I popped into Coconut Jack’s, a local tiki bar, I ordered a Pina Colada to celebrate. I told the bartender it was National Pina Colada day and got an odd quizzical look. Pretty sure he thought I was crazy. I just sat there with a smile on my face thinking, “No sir, you’re the crazy one for not paying homage to a classic cocktail.”
Enjoy National Daiguiri Day Castaways!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner or AirfarewatchDog (between them, you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page