Mother Nature sure can work some magic and the Caribbean has its share of examples. In one spot she has crafted twenty-seven awe-inspiring pools, etched out of limestone to form a not so well known natural attraction. The 27 Waterfalls might be one of the best kept secrets of the Dominican Republic.
The falls are located on the Caribbean island of Hispaniola on the Dominican Republic side. About 20 minutes outside Puerto Plata in a place called Damajaqua is where you can find the 27 waterfalls . The beautiful waterfalls are located on the Rio Bajabonico, it flows down and through the mountain wilderness forming series of crystal clear pools and 27 stunning waterfalls.
To fully appreciate this natural wonder you can hike up the mountain for about an hour until you reach the top of the falls then work your way down by jumping or sliding through each waterfall. You need to keep in mind that this is not for the faint of heart (you need to make jumps of 10-20ft regularly). Whilst children as young as eight are allowed to go to the first waterfall, cascading the falls is really only suitable for teens and adults. If you’re not up to something so strenuous you can take a less demanding tour that covers only seven of the falls.
27 Waterfalls – Dominican Republic
You can hire a guide and rent equipment (shoes, helmet, life-jacket) if you’re planning to cascade the falls. The Damajaqua falls are an exhilarating and unforgettable experience and one you should not miss when visiting the Dominican Republic.
Have you ventured outside the resort area of Puerto Plata and experienced the falls? If you have I would love to know what you thought and if you ventured to the top.
Cheers to exploring the off the beaten path parts of the Caribbean.
(Photos from mydestination.com)
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page