Yesterday while I was working, a new song on the No Shoes Radio rotation caught my ear. The sweet sweet music instantly removed me from the office and planted me firmly on the sand of St. Somewhere. The song was called Island Style. The artist is named John Cruz. He was joined by Jack Johnson and Jackson Browne.
The three got together at the 2005 Kokua Festival on Hawaii.
Hawaii has more school gardens because of Willie Nelson and Ben Harper. We have more field trips out into nature because of Eddie Vedder and Kawika Kahiapo. More recycling bins in the classrooms because of Ziggy Marley and Paula Fuga, less plastic on the beaches because of Jackson Browne and John Cruz, more healthy school snacks because of Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds; and now thanks to you, and everyone who purchases this album, The Kokua Hawaii Foundation will be able to continue inspiring Hawaii’s next generation of environmental stewards.
Aloha, Jack Johnson
Island Style – John Cruz joined by Jack Johnson & Jackson Browne
What do you think? Perfect music to escape with. Island Style is featured on the new release Jack Johnson and Friends “Best of Kokua Festival” available here – Island Style (Live) – Jack Johnson & Friends – Best of Kokua Festival (A Benefit for the Kokua Hawaii Foundation)
The entire album is amazing. I’ll be posting on a few more songs from it in the next few weeks, but I encourage you to snag the whole album. That’s what I did! Great songs by many great artists. All of them will give you that head swaying island escape feeling.
About John Cruz
John Cruz has distinguished himself as one of the most talented artists that has ever come from Hawaii. To me he is right up there with Henry Kapono. He was named the Best Singer Songwriter by Hawaii Magazine in 2008. This well-earned reputation became even more solidified when he released his long-awaited second album, One of These Days in 2007. It debuted firmly at #1 in Hawaii, #2 on the Billboard Heatseekers Chart and #6 on the Billboard World Chart. The music of John Cruz delivers warmth, heartfelt melodies and passionate, soulful vocals that fans have grown to know and love. His third album is suppose to drop some time this year. I’ll let you know when it does.
Cheers to another great addition to the beach playlist!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page