One of the best experiences I’ve ever had was sailing on a tall ship through from Grenada up the Grenadine Island chain. The ship was the 101ft. Diamant from Island Windjammers. She was the only ship in the fleet up until a couple days ago. Let me introduce you to the newest lady, the Sagitta.
The Sagitta is little larger than the Diamant at 120 feet long and sleeps 22 instead of 12. She has plenty of canvas and can scoot through the Caribbean waves at a relaxing 8 knots. The Sagitta will call Phillipsburg, St. Maarten its home port in the Leeward Islands. This is a great location that offers a wide range of islands to visit. The stops aren’t set in stone yet as the Sagitta hasn’t started cruising yet. From what I’ve been told cruises will be beginning the early part of next year.
Here are some photos that will wet your cruising appetite just a little.
The Sagitta – Island Windjammers
(Photos from IslandWindjammers.com)
Anguilla, St Kitts, Nevis, St Barts, St. Eustatius
Board Sunday, Disembark Saturday
Length: 120 feet
Beam: 22 feet
Draft: 10.3 feet
Speed: 8 knots
Rig: Sailing Ship
Electric Power Supply: 110/240 volts AC 60 Hz
Standard cabins: 10 cabins feature a double lower berth with single upper berth.
Owners’ Suite: Large aft cabin features a double bed, small refrigerator.
I’m really excited about the new itinerary and the new boat. Looking forward to hearing more about this lady of the sea in the future.
Just to give you a little taste of what it’s like to sail aboard an Island Windjammers cruise, here is a video of my trip through the Grenadines aboard the Diamant. It’s the crew, the people you meet as it is as much as the islands that really makes these cruises trips of a lifetime.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page