“Go Slow”, it’s the enviable slogan of Mad Gringo, the tropical clothing company. Is there a better slogan out there? I think not. If Mad Gringo didn’t already own it, I would steal it. And for that reason RumShopRyan and Mad Gringo make great partners.
Castaways please welcome Mad Gringo to the RSR family of advertisers. If you don’t know the story of how Mad Gringo came about, I’ll tell you, but be warned, it may make you want to quit your job. Reading discretion is advised.
The Story of Mad Gringo
Mad Gringo is owned by Greg Chambers, we like to call him Mad Greg though, these are his words of how the idea started for a tropical shirt company.
The story began in October 2006. I’d been feeling penned in and stressed out for months – maybe years. So I hopped a plane to Mexico, hoping to find myself- literally and figuratively – on a warm, sandy beach.
Instead, I found someone else.
Here was the man I was not. Deeply tanned. Carefree. Going slow. I had to know his secret.
We talked over a bottle of tequila. I unloaded my frustration with corporate life. The shallowness. The push for more and more. The feeling of less and less. I got angry explaining my job and life. The traffic. The ties. The stress.
He just smiled and shucked more oysters. He had no secret, he assured me.
So over a second bottle, we just talked. With a warm breeze in our faces, and the sound of crashing waves in the air, talk drifted here and there. People. Places. Love. Loves lost. From the same spot on the beach where we saw the sun drop, we watched it rise again.
That morning, I knew I would return home a changed man. “I’m quitting my job, amigo’” I said. “I’m going to really live. I’m going to go slow. Maybe I’ll sell tropical shirts like yours.”
“You’re mad, gringo,” he said, smiling, as he wadded his shirt up for a makeshift pillow.
And right then and there, I named my new company.
I think we all have a little Mad Gringo in us don’t we? That’s why having a few flashy tropical shirts in your closet is always a good reminder to “Go Slow” and live life. Everything doesn’t have to be faster, faster, more, more. You only live life once, it’s a cliche, but it’s a good one. It’s important to stop, pour a rum drink and breath in the world. Your inner Gringo will thank you.
Here’s a look at some of the Mad Gringo gear now…
Check out the Mad Gringo website, they have tons of great button down tropical shirts, a wide selection of crazy t-shirts (men’s & women’s) and other cool gear.
I have a closet full of Mad Gringo tropical shirts. I wear them often and take great pride in having the loudest tropical shirts possible. No tourist can out loud me when Mad Gringo hits the beach with me! We all have a little Mad Gringo in us, you just have to find it.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page