Normally I don’t post two drink recipes in one week, let alone two days in a row. Today is special though. Today is National Rum Punch Day! Plus we are heading to Key West today to take part in the Conched in Key West Charity Bar Crawl. What better day to road trip it to the Keys than National Rum Punch Day!
Yes, yesterday was Talk Like A Pirate Day. Turns out the very next day, today, is National Rum Punch Day. I can’t think of two days that are better suited to be next to each other. What a perfect way to close out the summer than to talk like a pirate while throwing back a couple rum punches. Well at least the rum punch part of the equation…talking like a pirate gets a little ridiculous. I tried it yesterday for at least 30 minutes and people started cursing at me. Guess they didn’t get the memo on what day it was.
I tried to find a little history on National Rum Punch Day, but couldn’t find where congress wrote it into law. Something tells me those guys in DC didn’t file the papers correctly. Anyways, here are a couple rum punch recipes for you to celebrate with. Cheers!
National Rum Punch Day Recipes
Cruzan Burning Love PunchIngredients:
- 2 parts Cruzan® Orange Rum
- 1 part Cruzan® Vanilla Rum
- 1 part Orange Juice
- 5 parts Tangerine-Lime Soda
- Orange Twists
Mixing Instructions: Combine all ingredients into a large punchbowl and refrigerate for at least one hour. Serve over ice in punch glasses with an orange twist to garnish. Raise glass and toast.
Recipe by Jesse Card, Cruzan Mixologist
Bermuda Rum Swizzle
- 1 oz Gosling’s Black Seal Rum
- 1 oz Gosling’s Gold Rum
- 2 oz orange juice
- 2 oz pineapple juice
- Splash of grenadine
- Dash of bitters
Mixing Instructions: Shake vigorously in an ice-filled shaker. Pour into a double old-fashioned glass filled with ice. Raise glass and toast.
- 3 oz. Myers’s Original Dark Rum
- 3 oz. Captain Morgan Silver Spiced Rum
- 1 1/2 oz. Grand Marnier
- 6 oz. orange juice
- 6 oz. pineapple juice
- 1 1/2 oz. limejuice
- 1 1/2 oz. simple syrup
- 4 dashes bitters
- 2 oz. grenadine
- 1 orange wheel
Mixing Instructions: Add in a pitcher Myers’s Original Dark Rum, Captain Morgan Silver Spiced Rum, Grand Marnier, orange juice, pineapple juice, lime juice, simple syrup, bitters, and grenadine. Pour into shaker and add ice. Shake and strain into an ice-filled highball glass. Garnish with orange wheel. Raise glasses and toast.
Let me know which one you like better!
Happy National Rum Punch Day Castaways!
(Photo by sodahead.com)
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page