Sometimes called the Indianapolis 500 of offshore powerboat racing, the Key West World Championship is to draw national and international racing teams to compete Nov. 4-11 in the waters surrounding the island city.
The action kicks off with a parade of race boats down Key Wests legendary Duval Street, slated to start at 4 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 4. Racing is scheduled throughout the week, with high-speed challenges taking place Wednesday, Nov. 7; Friday, Nov. 9, and Sunday, Nov. 11.
A portion of the 6.5-mile course runs through Key West Harbor, meaning smooth water where racers can achieve speeds above 140 mph and provide fans breathtaking displays of skill and power.
Because water conditions vary along the course, teams can test both equipment endurance and hull and propulsion design during the season-ending championship series. Boats compete in nine classes including the celebrated Superboat class.
On race days, spectators can get an unmatched view from grandstand areas on Key Wests Truman Waterfront sitting so close they can practically feel the salt spray as boats roar by. The Truman Waterfront can be accessed at the end of Southard Street past Thomas Street and Truman Annex.
On nonrace days, powerboat enthusiasts can view the sleek high-speed boats, watch in-water testing runs and meet racers and crews at the race village, also situated on the Truman Waterfront. Social events for racers and their fans are planned as well, including a Duval Street party where race boats are on display.
General-admission tickets are available, as are all-inclusive VIP spectator passes for the Truman Waterfront grandstands and hospitality tent. Other popular viewing areas include waterfront hotels and Key Wests Mallory Square.
Event information and schedule: www.superboat.com
Key West visitor information: www.fla-keys.com/keywest or 1-800-LAST-KEY
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page