KEY WEST, Florida Keys Several thousand of singer/songwriter/author Jimmy Buffetts Parrot Head fans are to flock to Key West Thursday through Sunday, Nov. 1-4, for the their annual convention. Titled Another Trip Around the Sun after Buffetts 2004 duet with Martina McBride, the gathering celebrates his music and laidback lifestyle on the island credited with inspiring much of both.
A former Key West resident, Buffett flavored classic songs with mentions of local landmarks including Faustos Food Palace and the Blue Heaven Restaurant, and characters like former mayor Captain Tony Tarracino and pirate Phil Clark. In the mid-1980s, he founded the original Margaritaville Store in the island city.
Events planned for the Parrot Heads 2012 convention include waterfront musical performances, charity auctions and raffles, a street festival and concert, the TropRock Music Awards and an oceanfront Beach Bash at the Casa Marina Resort, 1500 Reynolds St.
The 2012 conventions scheduled headliner is renowned Texas singer/songwriter Robert Earl Keen, performing a private Saturday night concert on the Casa Marinas oceanfront lawn. Other featured performers include regional and Parrot Head favorites Homemade Wine, Howard Livingston & the Mile Marker 24 Band, Jerry Diaz and John Frinzi & Friends.
Most events are open only to registered Parrot Heads, but everyone is welcome at the Margaritaville Street Fest set for 1 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 2, at Duval and Fleming streets. Entertainment is to be provided by Jim Morris & the Big Bamboo Band and Michael Armstrong & The Key West Band.
As well as Buffetts music and lifestyle, Parrot Heads embrace charitable, environmental, educational and humanitarian activities. Since 2002, members of the more than 200 national and international Parrot Head chapters have contributed $26.2 million and nearly 2.9 million volunteer hours to local and national charities.
(Lead photo by beachbumband.com)
Event information: www.phip.com/MOTM.asp
Key West visitor information: www.fla-keys.com/keywest or 1-800-LAST-KEY
- Get your flight with Skyscanner or AirfarewatchDog (between them, you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page