I caution you, reading further and watching the accompanying video will make you want to quit your job. Viewer discretion is advised.
The third episode of the EX-PATS show takes us back to the island of St. John. Host Savannah Jane Buffett introduces us to Jamison Witbeck–Vermont native, boat builder, boat captain and family man. It really seems like he is living the castaway life on one of the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean. Let’s learn how and why he made the move to the Caribbean.
Jamison, his crew (3 beautiful blonds) and his family charter KEKOA, a 55 foot catamaran, around the Virgin Islands — but it was not always easy. A family business of boat building quickly took a different turn when KEKOA, one of their master pieces, was abandoned at sea after a strong storm by it’s new owners. Reclaimed and fixed up, Jamison grabbed his family of 5, moved to St. John and gave that boat the life he dreamed for it. Chartering all around the islands, Jamison supports his amazing family and business while nestling his way right into local life. – EX-PATS
This video is about 24 minutes long, so be prepared to spend a little time with it. Once you start watching though you’ll be sucked in. You’ll wish those 24 minutes would last forever.
EX-PATS, Episode 3 – Jamison Witbeck of St. John USVI
If you’re a regular reader of this blog, chances are your imagination is fifth gear and pushing to sixth after watching that episode. I can hear your minds cranking over right now. What will it take to move to the Caribbean? Can really do something like that? What would I do for work? You’re not along, my mind is toiling away on the very same questions.
Like Jamison said, you just have to do it. It’s not going to be easy but the payoff in the end just might be the reward of a lifetime.
If you have plans to head down to St. John and are looking for a catamaran cruise, why not sail on the Kekoa and meet Jamison and his beautiful crew. You can check out their website here: blacksailsvi.com
Cheers to living a life in the islands.
(All photos are screen shots of the EX-PATS show on The Reserve Channel)
- Get your flight with Skyscanner or AirfarewatchDog (between them, you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page