KEY WEST, Florida Keys– Key West has been named the best winter weather location in the United States by the Farmers Almanac, and the island city’s Duval Street has been designated one of the 10 Great Streets for 2012 by the American Planning Association.
The Farmers Almanac ranking was announced in the 2013 edition of the popular annual publication, which has been published since 1818 and contains long-range weather predictions, gardening tips, recipes, travel tips, calendars and more.
Rankings were based primarily on meteorological factors including average temperatures, humidity levels and dew points. Key West topped the list for its frost-free climate, warm temperatures, abundant sunshine and low precipitation during winter months.
What better way to enjoy winter weather than in a city that has no known record of frost, ice, sleet or snow? Thanks to its location, this city enjoys a mild, tropical maritime climate, Almanac staff wrote, citing average afternoon winter temperatures in the 70s.
Following Key West in the winter weather rankings were San Diego, Calif.; Phoenix, Ariz.; Watertown, N.Y., and Flagstaff, Ariz.
Duval Street earned its designation as one of Americas great streets under the American Planning Associations Great Places in America program.
Duval Street, the undisputed Main Street of Key West, is the only place in the U.S. where one street allows you to walk from the Atlantic Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico, stated the announcement on the APAs website. It also lauded the citywide historic preservation commitment that enabled the streets gracious transition from its maritime past to its tourism-based contemporary character.
Others included on the 10 Great Streets list for 2012 were Fifth Avenue in New York, Gay Street in Knoxville, Tenn., and Main Street in Bozeman, Mont.
The APA is committed to advancing the art, science and profession of good physical, economic and social planning in creating optimal communities. The association began its Great Places in America program in 2007 and honors neighborhoods and public places as well as streets.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page