The Caribbean has a rich and sometimes violent history. Once Columbus returned to Europe and word spread of the discovery of resource rich islands, it was a mad dash to colonize and lay claims to these new lands. England, Spain, the Dutch, France, they all were quick to plant their flags in the Caribbean. Some islands had more monetary or strategic value than others, battles were fought and fortress were built.
The English and French laid claim to St. Kitts (Saint Christopher) and shared the island from 1627 to 1713. To protect the island from the Spanish, the English built a dominating fortress called Brimstone Hill. Standing nearly 800 feet above the Caribbean sea the fort’s canons could easily persuade any naval or land based army to…stay clear of St. Kitts.
During my trip to St. Kitts as the Marriott Beach Blogger, I was able to spend some time at Brimstone Hill. To me this was one of the highlights of the trip. I’m a huge history buff and Brimstone Hill was definitely that. It’s fascinating to stand their on the gun decks over looking the sea, knowing that 300 years earlier their were men there from the English crown, standing guard in their red coats, muskets and canons at the ready. Then here I was, standing their in my shorts and flip flops, camera and sunscreen at the ready. They worried about siege, I worried about the location of the next beach bar. Funny how things change.
Here is a photo tour of Brimstone Hill Fortress on St. Kitts. I hope you enjoy the vistas as much as I.
Brimstone Hill Fortress, St. Kitts
Please feel free to “Pin” these to your Pinterest boards. Everyone needs a little Caribbean inspiration!
St. Kitts is a wonderful island, one I need to revisit. Would another trip to Brimstone Hill be on the itinerary? I sure hope so.
Have you been to Brimstone Hill Fortress? Leave a comment and let me know what you thought about this mighty fort.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page