After one sip, you’ll be waving the white flag.
It’s the day after election day. Okay, now everyone breathe in…big exhale. I don’t know about you, but I’m exhausted by all the campaigning, political commercials and really can’t wrap my head around why Florida election officials always seem to screw up. As the dust clears after the big day, one thing is clear, America is in need of a Boat Drink.
This week’s much needed rum drink recipe is appropriately called El Presidente. Like most cocktails its origins are cloudy, but one thing is for sure is that it is a product of Cuba. Here’s what RumDood.com had to say about the El Presidente.
The drink (El Presidente) has often been lamented as a lost treasure from the heyday of Cuban mixology, when thirsty Americans – unable to quench their thirst for great cocktails at home – would sail from Florida to Havana. While most people think of daiquiris and mojitos when they think of Cuba, there are quite a few great drinks that were poured for travelers – many of which have been almost completely forgotten. -RumDood
Matt Robold, Mr. RumDood, did a lot of “research” on this drink and ended up fine tuning it just a little to let other elements of the El Presidente shine through and not just the Orange Curacao. Here is his recipe and you can read the story of his El Presidente research here.
El Presidente Drink Recipe
- 1.5 oz Aged Rum (Havana Club if possible)
- .75 oz Dry Vermouth
- .25 oz Curacao
- .5 tsp Grenadine
Mixing Instructions: Stir with ice, strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with an orange or lemon twist. Raise glass and toast.
Drink up Castaways! Let me know what you think of the El Presidente cocktail. Did it take your mind off all the election drama? I hope so! Hopefully it took your mind to that special St. Somewhere where the sand is soft and the sun is warm.
(Photo by Handbag.com)
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page