Do you think you are ready for the Ting with a Sting?
…because after one sip, you’ll be blowing wind into your sails.
Cigar finished, glass of Mt. Gay Extra Old empty–it was time for a reload. I bellied up to the casino bar and ran my eyes over the drink menu. The bartender must have noticed my glazed over expression, because he said to me, “Looks like you need a Ting with a sting.”
Yes, yes I do.
You’ll notice that life opens up a bit if you just say yes. At the time I had no idea what a Ting with a Sting was, but if the bartender recommends a drink it’s a good bet that it’s worth a try.
This situation played out while I was at the St. Kitts Marriott Resort and Casino a couple years ago. My lovely assistant loves to play blackjack, so the casino was a popular spot for us in the evenings. I don’t gamble though. I conduct drink research. If I’m going to throw money away, the reason damn sure is going to put a smile on my face, one way or another.
The friendly resort bartender mixed up this simple drink made with white rum and Ting. If you don’t know what Ting is, it is a sweet and tart Jamaican cola product made with grapefruit juice. It’s refreshing and mixes great with rum. You can find it everywhere in the Caribbean and if you look in the right places you can find it here in the States as well.
Rum and Ting, Ting with a Sting–whatever you call it, it’s a classic island drink.
Ting With A Sting Recipe (Or a Ting Wray!)
- 2 oz Wray & Nephew White Overproof Rum
- 3 oz Ting
Mixing Instructions: Mix together over ice. Twist of lime. Raise glass and toast.
Have you enjoyed a Ting with a Sting in the islands? If so, where did you have your first one?
History of Wray & Nephew Rum
Want more Caribbean Rum Drink Recipes?
Want more Caribbean rum drink recipes? Click here to see our list of 52 rum drinks and how to make them. Invite some friends over and impress them with your rum skills, because each one tastes like paradise in a glass.
Every good mixologist needs some good cocktail making gear. I recommend this cocktail mixing set, it has everything you need and it’s what I use at home.
Cheers to the sting!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page