When I first moved to southwest Florida from Kansas City in 2001, I had heard Fort Myers Beach was the happening place to be. It had waterfront restaurants, beach bars, live music and damn good rum runners. Fort Myers Beach is actually the City of Fort Myers Beach and is an long barrier island. Only two ways on, only two ways off. A true “gone coastal” type of place.
At the time I lived down in Naples and didn’t know much about the area. Had no idea I could easily get to Fort Myers Beach by driving up Bonita Beach and going over the Big Carlos Pass Bridge. In a way I’m glad I didn’t know about the southern route on to the island, because experiencing Fort Myers Beach for the first time should undoubtedly be from the north, driving over the wonderful Fort Myers Beach Bridge.
The Fort Myers Beach Bridge, actually named Matanzas Pass Bridge, reaches 65 feet into the air and rewards those who travel over her stunning views of the Gulf of Mexico, Sanibel Island, all of Fort Myers Beach and on clear days even the highrises of Naples.
I still remember that day back in 2001 when I first drove over the bridge. I was by myself and once I reached the top and saw all the beauty that was splayed out before me, my jaw literally dropped and a hushed “wow” floated from my mouth.
Still to this day, I get excited about driving over the Fort Myers Beach Bridge. If I could I’d drive over it a thousand times a day I would.
Here is a video I shot while driving over the Fort Myers Beach Bridge on three different occasions. Twice during sunset and once during the day. While I think the video shows some beautiful views from the bridge, by no means does it give the actual experience justice. For that you will have to make the drive yourself.
Driving Over The Fort Myers Beach Bridge
I thought Floridays by Jimmy Buffett was an appropriate song for this video.
I’m sure a lot of you have been over the Fort Myers Beach Bridge a time or two. Does it give you that excited feeling when driving over it?
When visiting friends in Fort Myers and it’s time to drive home, I almost always take the beach way. Sure it’s takes a little longer but the payoff is so so very worth it.
- Get your flight with Skyscanner or AirfarewatchDog (between them, you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page