After one sip, you’ll be swimming to shore.
There’s a place that has been high on my must go list for quite sometime. It sits on the same latitude line as my home and is just a short 300 mile hop to the East. I’m talking about the “get away from it all” Abaco Islands of the Bahamas.
I’m addicted to the Bahamas. Their proximity to Florida, the people, the food, the beaches and of course the drinks, all call to me on a daily basis. I try to bounce over to Bahamas a couple times a year to stave off withdraws, but the Abacos have not yet been a stopping point. Slap me and call me stupid I know.
Being that today is Boat Drink’s Wednesday, it’s time to talk cocktails. Today’s drink recipe comes to us from the Hope Town Lodge on Elbow Cay. At the Hope Town Lodge is the Reef Bar & Grill, and behind it a character named Gary. Gary is going to mix us up drink called the Person Overboard. Ready for a taste?
Person Overboard Cocktail Recipe
- 1.5oz Myer’s Dark Rum
- 1oz Southern Comfort
- Pineapple Juice
Mixing Instructions: Add the Myer’s Rum and Southern Comfort to shaker and top with pineapple juice. Shake well and pour over ice. Raise glass and toast.
Simple and delicious. Just the way I like them.
You may ask, “But how do you know about Gary and his Person Overboard drink if you have yet to set foot on Elbow Cay?” I’ll tell you. I search for the coolest places in the Caribbean, then find a drink that brings that place to you. Drinks that you can make right at home that make you feel like you are on island. While searching for today’s drink I ran across and blog about the Bahamas called The 700 Experience. It’s tag line, “An experimental travel & lifestyle blog about the 700 islands of the Bahamas.” What’s not to love about that!
I learned about Gary and his drink from this website, its author Vanessa Pritchard, spent a day with Gary at the Reef Bar & Grill and told the story here. The more I dig into The 700 Experience, the more my addiction to the Bahamas is fed. Venture over and take a look.
(Photos via Flickr 57guy)
Cheers to Boat Drinks!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page