After one sip, you’ll be cleaning the pink sand from your hair.
Do you remember that special cocktail you had while on your last vacation? You were sitting on the beach, feet covered in sand, condensation dripping from the glass, each sip tasting better than the last. The situation is pure bliss. You tell your mind to remember every aspect of that moment so you can hold on to it forever.
Reality has returned and find yourself dreaming of your time on island. As much as you want to feel the sun on your skin and the sand under your feet, that reality bully is a tough nut to crack. I have a secret though.
Trick one of your senses into believing that you are back on that beach, rum drink in hand. Head to the kitchen and mix up that tropical cocktail, close your eyes and take a sip. The feeling you get transports you back to to that beach, back to that bliss. Even if that feeling only lasts a second, it’s worth it.
Today’s Boat Drink recipe is called the Reef Wreck and comes to us from the Reef Bar at the Hope Town Lodge on Elbow Cay in Abaco Bahamas. Check out this drink video that my friend Loui and I made at the Reef Bar. This drink instantly takes be me back to the beaches of Hope Town.
The Reef Wreck, From the Reef Bar at the Hope Town Lodge
So that’s the Reef Wreck, a simple yet delicious rum drink from the Reef Bar in Hope Town, Bahamas.
Reef Wreck Recipe
- 2oz. Gold Rum
- .5oz Apricot Brandy
- 4oz Orange Juice
Mixing Instructions: Combine all ingredients into mixing glass. Shake and pour into glass. Garnish with cherry. Raise glass and toast.
I would like to give a big thanks to Loui, the professional and knowledgeable bartender from the Reef Bar at the Hope Town Lodge. We did have to do two takes while recording this video. One, I forgot to turn the microphone on and two, Loui got a little nervous and busted out laughing in the middle of the first take. Good times! Loui became a natural behind the camera on the second take and hopefully we will be able to shoot many more drink videos together in the future.
Let me know if you mix yourself a Reef Wreck and what you thought of it. I’ve mixed up this boat drink twice since I’ve been back home. Each time my lips feel its sweet taste I’m instantly transported back to Hope Town, sitting at the Reef Bar feeling the ocean breeze blow across my face. That’s the power of having a vacation in a glass.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page