After one sip, you’ll know island dreams do come true.
Have you had a dry rum? What makes a rum dry? I’ve had a dry martini but what in the world is a dry rum? To tell you the truth I have no idea. And that’s why I’m intrigued.
The Brugal rum company from the Dominican Republic has a clear dry rum in their arsenal called Brugal Especial Extra Dry. They say the Extra Dry goes through a double-distillation process that creates the dry clean spirit with fewer heavy alcohols that influence other rum’s sweeter profiles. The Brugal Especial Extra Dry is a blended rum aged 2 to 5 years. It’s triple charcoal filtered to help give it clarity and smooth taste.
Now that we know how you make a dry rum, let’s make a drink with it! This week’s Boat Drink recipe is called the Brugal Dehumidifier. The drink plays off of the DRY name and uses simple ingredients like lemon juice, sugar, bitters and Club Soda. The Brugal Dehumidifier also calls for mint leaves. I’m usually not a fan of having leaves in my drink, but this recipe doesn’t call to have them muddled like a mojito would. A slightly better situation in my eyes.
The Brugal Dehumidifier Cocktail Recipe
- 2 oz Brugal Extra Dry Rum
- 1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon superfine sugar
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- 5 mint leaves
- Club soda
Mixing Instructions: Combine all ingredients except bitters and club soda, and shake with ice. Pour into a collins glass, top with club soda and float 3 dashes of bitters. Garnish with a mint sprig. Raise glass and toast.
Let me know if you mix up the Brugal Dehumidifier and what you thought. Have you had a dry rum before, what did you think? I’m looking forward to spending some time at the Brugal booth at the upcoming Rum Renaissance Festival and learning more about this dry rum.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page