Is America too stressed out? The answer is a resounding yes, but new research says a vacation provides hope for frazzled folks if they will only take the time to do it.
According to a survey of more than 1,400 travelers conducted by Marriott Caribbean & Mexico Resorts in conjunction with April’s National Stress Awareness Month, an overwhelming majority of Americans view a vacation as the antidote to reduce their work life stress, but many of them are not utilizing all of their available days.
The survey found that 72% of respondents said they plan a vacation to specifically de-stress and forget the daily grind, with the majority citing tension in the workplace ahead of concerns about finances as the greatest source of daily pressure. Yet one third of respondents admitted they did not utilize all of their available vacation time.
Still, according to the survey, vacation provides an invaluable way to reconnect with loved ones…or maybe even a dream celebrity. Respondents said spending more intimate time with their partner was the number one activity they do more of during vacation than in their everyday lives, followed by eating and reading. Just for fun, the question was posed asking with what celebrity they would most want to relax during vacation and Academy Award winner Halle Berry topped the list ahead of Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway and Denzel Washington.
In order to provide the antidote for stressed out vacationers, the eight exclusive Marriott Caribbean & Mexico Resorts are offering travelers a variety of ways to reduce tension and relax while on vacation. Guests can worry less about money and focus more on fun with the Collection’s special “De-Stress For Less Event” during the month of April that provides guests with 20% – 30% off leisure rates. To take advantage of this special offer, bookings must be complete before April 30, 2013 for travel between April 15, 2013 and August 31, 2013, with a minimum two-night stay required. Travelers must use the promotional code ‘X32’ when making a reservation.*
By popular demand, the resort collection is helping reduce stress for guests on property by extending their innovative “Braincation Zones” throughout the month of April. Introduced in December and originally only scheduled to run through the winter months, the Braincation tech-free zones have proven to be a favorite spot for those guests wishing to enjoy some “digital detox.” The zones operate on the honor system with signs indicating an electronics-free environment to encourage guests to disconnect, relax and enjoy peaceful reading, conversation or other tech-free pursuits.
With locations in seven relaxing and idyllic destinations, all Marriott Caribbean & Mexico Resorts are naturally designed to help guests unwind. Each provides opportunities for guests to lower their tension levels through a variety of activities and services during National Stress Awareness Month and beyond, including:
- Welcome aloe drink, fresh whole fruits, and refreshing cold towels at check in
- Yoga and Pilates classes
- Salsa dance classes
- Mandara Spa and new H2Oasis Adult Exclusive Pool
- Morning stretching sessions on the beach; daily Aquaerobics activity
- Complimentary 5 min shiatsu chair massage
- 30% off discount at Ohtli Spa, Wellness hours (12:00pm – 2:00pm)
- 30% off Yoga Classes
- Free yoga classes on the beach
- Mayan-inspired spa
- Free-form pool facing the ocean
- AAA Five Diamond Award-winning Club 91, luxury private club experience
- Health Club & Fitness Center with treatments overlooking the water
- Seabreeze Outdoor Pool and Swim-up Bar
- Private beach
- PADI Dive and watersport center
- Central location on world-famous Seven-Mile Beach
- La Mer Spa
- Private balconies
- Beachfront freshwater outdoor pool
- Emerald Mist Spa
- Onsite championship golf course – Royal St. Kitts Golf Club
- Eight restaurants and two lounges
- Onsite casino
- Lazule Sea Spa & fitness center
- Infinity pools
- Two resort experiences in one
- New Frenchman’s Reef Fitness Center
- Spectacular beachfront location
- Rooms with private balconies overlooking Caribbean Sea and Nichupte Lagoon
- Exclusive spa services
- Sauna and Solarium
According to Michelle Bozoki, Director of Marketing and eCommerce for Marriott and Renaissance Caribbean and Latin America Resorts, both the popularity of the Braincation Zones and the stress awareness survey showed that, for most travelers, vacation time was a crucial, and increasingly rare, opportunity to reduce stress built up over the course of the year.
“Stress is a challenge for all of us, whether in the workplace or at home,” said Bozoki. “With the majority of those we surveyed referencing vacation time as their best opportunity to forget about the daily grind, it’s more important than ever that we deliver the most relaxing and rejuvenating experiences available. We’ve seen guests utilizing our Braincation Zones as a sort of oasis of tranquility and our hope is that they will continue to enjoy these zones and utilize our resorts as a way to check their tensions at the door, spend quality time with their loved ones, and have a completely stress-free experience in paradise.”
For more on the De-Stress For Less Event visit: http://www.paradisebymarriott.com/de-stress-for-less
*The “De-Stress For Less Event” promotion is valid for reservations booked between April 1 – 30, 2013 for stays from April 15, 2013 – August 31, 2013 at participating Marriott® Hotels & Resorts and JW Marriott® Hotels & Resorts, Must quote promotional code X32 to receive the promotional rate. A limited number of rooms are available and blackout dates or other restrictions may apply. Available at participating locations only. Some hotels may not be available at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity. Promotion cannot be combined with any other offer, sale promotion or prior purchase/reservation. Void where prohibited.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page