Tomorrow is the start of the first Tortuga Music Festival. A two day event that takes place on the sand of Fort Lauderdale Beach. This week I’ve seen the excite build on social networks; plans being made, what artists people want to see. But behind the big name musical acts and warm Florida sun is a very important issue, something that should matter to every single person reading this Caribbean travel blog…ocean conservation.
Rock The Ocean is a foundation that was created to protect the worlds oceans. We all enjoy those crystal clear waters of the Caribbean, the Florida Keys and other oceans around the globe, but we also have to remember to take care of them. A healthy ocean ecosystem effects the whole planet and its food chain. One of my favorite beach signs reads, “Leave Only Footprints.” Doesn’t get more clear cut than than that.
The Rock The Ocean Foundation is committed to increasing public awareness, supporting scientific research and education about issues impacting the world’s oceans. They do this by teaming up with headlining musical acts like Kenny Chesney, The Wailers, Mac McAnally, Grace Potter, Eric Church, Michael Franti, Jake Own and other great artists that care about our oceans. Through events like the Tortuga Music Festival, they will bring attention and funds to solutions that will help our aqua marine environments.
Here is a Tortuga Music Festival promo video from the Guy Harvey Foundation, another partner of Rock The Ocean.
Did You Know?
- Plastic waste kills up to 1 million sea birds, 1 hundred thousand sea mammals and countless fish each year.
- 70% of the world’s fisheries are fully exploited, over exploited or depleted!
- Humans have caused the depletion of 90% of the oceans large predators due to unsustainable fisheries.
- Up to 39 million tons of unwanted fish are killed and dumped back into the sea each year.
I know I write about the blue water care-free rum soaked life 99% of the time, but none of that is be possible if we don’t take care of our oceans and all the critters that call it home. This is something that I’ve believed in for a long long time. Even back when I was a little trouble making kid living in a small town outside of Kansas City I was crazy about the ocean. I remember thumbing through a Jacque Cousteau book amazed by the underwater landscapes and telling my mom than I wanted to be a marine biologist and study Blue Whales. Not knowing that that occupation would be a little difficult in the Sunflower State.
Fast forward 28 years and that Kansas kid now lives by the sea, pelicans soar over head and dolphins glide through the Gulf. I’m no marine biologist, but my passion for the ocean remains strong. That’s why I’m very happy to support Rock The Ocean and the Tortuga Music Festival. Follow the RumShopRyan Facebook page and Twitter account for live updates from the festival.
Drop me a line if you’re going to be at the Tortuga Music Festival this weekend.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page