After one sip, you’ll be swimming the channel.
The two questions I get asked most are, what’s your favorite island in the Caribbean and what’s your favorite rum. Two difficult questions to answer, but they do have answers.
Flor de Cana is one of my favorite rums. The brand was was turned on to me by one of the best in the business, Mike from RumConnection.com. The rum is from Nicaragua and can trace its roots back to 1890. After a couple sips you’ll understand why it’s the leading rum in Central America.
I have the Flor de Cana 5, 7 and 12 year in my collection and am looking to add more. Each is great to sip on as well as used in creative cocktails like today’s Boat Drink recipe, the Tribal Cana.
The Tribal Cana is an intense recipe with quite a few ingredients. I’m normally a simply, straight forward recipe type person but I thought we could mix things up.
Tribal Cana Cocktail Recipe
- 1 ½ parts Flor De Caña 7 year rum
- ¾ part fresh lime juice
- ¾ part pineapple juice
- ½ part simple syrup
- 3 drops vanilla extract
- 10 cilantro leaves
- 8 mint leaves
- Fresh Cilantro to taste
Mixing Instructions: Muddle mint, cilantro, lime and pineapple juice in a Collins glass. Add the Flor de Caña 7 year rum and vanilla. Fill the glass halfway with crushed ice and use a spoon to swizzle ingredients. Fill the glass the rest of the way with crushed ice and give another swizzle. Garnish with a mint and cilantro spring. Raise glass and toast.
Let me know if you mix the Tribal Cana up and what you thought.
Cheers to another Boat Drink!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page