Today is National Flip Flop Day! Are you giddy with excitement? Yeah, me too!
This quirky little holiday may not get the notoriety of the big boys like Thanksgiving or even the out dated Groundhog Day, but to Castaways like you and I it holds a special place in our heart (on our feet). Honestly, I’ve been looking forward to this day for a long time. It gives me a good excuse to go out and buy a new pair of flippy floppies for my embarrassing collection.
National Flip Flop Day all started out as a marketing promotion by Tropical Smoothie Cafe to celebrate the start of summer. The third Friday in June was designated National Flip Flop Day and every customer sporting a pair of flip flops received a free smoothie from the company. Eventually it grew and turned into a charity event for Tropical Smoothie Cafe in which Flip Flip Day helped them raise money for Camp Sunshine. Camp Sunshine is a program that sends terminally ill children and their families on vacation. A great cause indeed.
In the year past few years National Flip Flop Day has grown and now sand-on-the-brain writers like me along with other relaxation inspired media outlets celebrate the day like it’s New Year’s or something. At least I do.
Cushe Footwear Contest
This past week I’ve asked people to post creative photos of their flip flop collections on the RSR Facebook page. One, I wanted to see how many crazy flip flop people are out there like me, and two, I’m giving away two $50 gift cards to Cushe Footwear Company to the most creative photos.
Here are a few of the photos submitted…
A representative from Cushe and I will be getting together and choosing the two best photos. The winners will be announced early next week.
If you missed the contest that’s okay, I would still love to see a photo of your flip flop collection. Just post it to the RSR Facebook page.
I hope everyone slides into a pair of flip flops today and enjoys the freedom that they bring. I’m looking forward getting out of these work shoes and setting my toes free in a couple hours. Thank you everyone and let’s all raise a glass to our friend, the flip flop.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page