War and strife, peace and love, unity and revolution–reggae music connects with some pretty strong emotions. Kenny Chesney through his cowboy hat into the reggae pot (no pun intended…well maybe) with his “Spread the Love” song off his new Life On A Rock album. The song featured the Wailers and Elan. I was completely unfamiliar with Elan Atias before Spread the Love, what I’m now learning and hearing I’m really liking.
Elan Atias is an American reggae singer/songwriter that has been associated with some pretty big names in music. From Kenny Chesney, the Wailers, Gwen Stefani and Carlos Santana-Elan is no stranger to the music scene. He was signed to London Records under the WMG umbrella in January 2000 and was featured on the Sex and the City soundtrack and his song “Dreams Come True” was his first big radio hit.
In 2004 he teamed with Gwen Stefani on a song for the 50 First Dates soundtrack called “Slave to Love”. Stefani had Elan feature on her remix of her number one single “Hollaback Girl” called “DanceHollaback”, produced by Tony Kanal. In June 2006, he released his debut album, Together As One, produced by No Doubt bassist Tony Kanal, and featuring contributions from Stefani, Tami Chynn, Sly & Robbie, and Cutty Ranks, which reached number seven on the Billboard Top Reggae Albums chart.
While searching for Elan videos on YouTube I found this song, “Step Into the Sunshine.” from his We Are album. It’s a great feel good song with that Don’t Worry Be Happy vibe. I think you guy are going to like it.
Elan – Step Into The SunShine
After forming a strong working and personal friendship with guitarist Al Anderson (the lead guitarist for the legendary Wailers), Elan was offered a life-changing opportunity to tour with the Waliers as their lead singer. Elan agreed to this, and chose to travel the road with his musical heroes. Night after night Elan took center stage and wowed audiences of thousands, who often mistook him for one of Bob Marley’s sons because their voices were so alike.
On Elan’s website I found out that Chesney’s Spread The Love has been optioned for a video. The shoot took place in the birthplace of reggae music, Jamaica, particularly in Kingston. I think a lot of us are looking forward to seeing the Jamaica meets island cowboy vibe in a visual medium…I know I am!
Cheers to another great song for the island style playlist.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page