After one sip, you’ll be DR bound.
The second largest island in the Caribbean is Hispaniola. It’s occupied by the countries of Haiti and the Dominican Republic. One of those countries is a leader is Caribbean tourism, the other is not. That’s our geography lesson for today, now let’s talk about rum.
Castaway mixologist Jeremy McDaniel is in the Dominican Republic right now and he has rum on his mind. Don’t most Castaways? Before he left he created a cocktail called the Hispaniola Highball, made with delicious Brugal Anejo rum. Who’s thirsty?!
I will say that I haven’t tasted this drink yet, I don’t have a bottle of Brugal Anejo in my collection. I didn’t think it right to substitute with a different rum being that the cocktail is called the Hispaniola Highball and needs to be made with a good Dominican rum. The drink sounds amazing so a trip to the rum store is planned for later in the week.
Hispaniola Highball Drink Recipe
- 1 1/2oz Brugal anejo rum
- 1/2oz grand mariner
- Dash angostura bitters
- Splash lime juice
- 5oz ginger beer
Mixing Instructions: Shake all but ginger beer. Strain over ice, top w/ginger beer. Raise glass and toast.
Let me know if you mix yourself a Hispaniola Highball and what you thought.
Have you been to the DR or maybe Haiti? If so, I would love to hear about your trip!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner or AirfarewatchDog (between them, you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page