After one sip, you’ll be looking for the aloe.
Traveling to the palm lined shores of the Caribbean tends to inspire people. Hell, even photos of these shores is muse enough to open up creative thought or inspire one to book that vacation to St. Somewhere. A recent trip to the Dominican Republic by Castaway Mixologist Jeremy McDaniel inspired a boat load of new rum recipes for us to enjoy and “enhance” our creativity as we sip away.
Here’s what Jeremy had to say about his trip and the inspiration behind today’s Boat Drink that’s called, Sun Burn Punch.
“The trip to the DR was undoubtedly my best yet down island. The 4 days felt like a month but in a good way! Too much fun and what I call “responsible bad behavior” filled the days and nights! The other couple that went with us had never been to the Caribbean and on the first day amidst all the fun forgot to re-apply sunscreen regularly… hence the inspiration for this pink and red concoction.”
Sun Burn Punch Drink Recipe
- 2oz. light rum (Brugal Especial extra dry or Cruzan light)
- 2oz. pink grapefruit juice
- 2oz. cranberry juice
- 1/2o.z pineapple juice
- 1/2oz. grenadine
Mixing Instructions: Shake all with crushed ice for about 5-10 seconds. Strain over ice into highball glass. Raise glass and toast.
I think getting red in the sun has happened to all of us. The only cure for sun burn is jumping in a tub of aloe vera or consuming multiple stiff rum drinks. Travel tip, always reapply sunscreen throughout the day. Nothing screams tourist more than burnt skin! That and it can severely put a damper on your vaca in el carib.
Do you have a funny sun burn story? I would love to hear about it! Leave a comment below and tell us about.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page