(This is a guest post by Catherine Lavinia)
If you’re looking to take a relaxing break, a little further afield than Europe but still a good value holiday, then Cuba could be the place for you. You will be treated to glorious white sandy shores and palm-lined beaches, with a great selection of resorts from the sleepy laid back Guardalavaca on the north coast to lively Varadero on the tip of the Punta Hicacos peninsula.
Varadero is a great place for an all-inclusive holiday package, it’s home to some of the most spectacular beaches in the world and is a haven for watersports enthusiasts. Down town you will encounter a vibrant array of bars and restaurants which come to life at night with an upbeat Cuban atmosphere.
Havana, the lively capital city is a tourist favourite for its ancient history, colorful culture, nearby sparkling shores and party atmosphere; it’s all going on in Havana! The city streets are bustling with an exciting mix of traditional culture and modern, luxurious hotels and restaurants. You might feel as though you’ve gone back in time to Cuba in the 1950s, thanks to the Latin American vibes in the lively bars and back street taveras where cigar smoke fills the air and tales of pirates are told! The city spreads out on to the sun-drenched sands of the Caribbean coast where holidaymakers can take time out to relax and unwind, before heading off to take in the sights of one of the city’s museums or famous sights.
Cuba holidays are a little more authentic in the little city of Ciego de Avila in central Cuba. Off the beaten tourist track, this little place is a hidden gem for history lovers and those wanting a true taste of Cuba. This place has bags of charm and character with its colorful architecture and friendly, social vibe. The locals gather at night to catch up with friends and the town becomes a lively place with popular outdoor eateries, the Casa de la Trova Miguel Angel Luna is the place for live entertainment.
For an exotic family holiday, Las Minas is a great choice, offering natural beauty, delicious cuisine and some wonderful sights. The vastly impressive Panama Canal connects the Atlantic and Pacific oceans – one of the seven wonders of the industrial world and a must visit for tourists. For a great day out, the Summit resort has many attractions on offer including a zoo and golf course.
Whether it’s the lively, hypnotic culture or sleepy tropical beaches that attract you, Cuba is sure to entice and delight you.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page