Tomorrow, September 21st is International Coastal Cleanup Day. Ocean trash is a serious pollution problem that affects the health of people, wildlife and local economies. If you’re a reader of this blog then there’s a near 100% chance that you love beaches, not just in the Caribbean but any coastal environment. It’s important to give back and take care of the beaches and waterways we love so much.
If you would like to join me and help keep our beaches clean I’ll be on Fort Myers Beach at the DiamondHead Beach Resort at 9am. I’ll have trash bags, garbage pickers and bottles of water.
Here are a few tid-bits about International Coastal Cleanup Day.
- For nearly three decades, our International Coastal Cleanup has mobilized millions of people in the world’s largest volunteer effort for our ocean and waterways.
- 561,633 Volunteers Participated – In 2012, Cleanup volunteers covered a distance of nearly 18,000 miles and collected weird finds ranging from lottery tickets to toothbrushes.
- 10 Million Pounds of Trash Cleaned Up – Many of the most commonly found pieces of trash include items we use every day from food wrappers to beverage containers to plastic bags.
- Volunteers cleaned coastal beaches and inland waterways in 97 countries and locations all over the world.
Thank you everyone for doing your part to help keep our oceans and beaches clean!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page