You know it’s true when people say, ” The journey, not the destination is the best reward.” Traveling to a location, especially an island destination, is exponentially more fun than traveling back from one. On the way your body is full of excitement, spirits are high and everything sit in front of you, just waiting for you to take a bite. That’s what it’s like driving to Key West.
This past weekend was the 3rd annual “unofficial” Conched in Key West bar crawl. The purpose of the crawl is to get together with like minded island souls to celebrate life; what better place to do that than Key West!
A group of us decided to take our time getting to Key West and casually bar hop our way through the Florida Keys. This journey, like many others, proved to be half the fun of the entire trip. We hit places like Alabama Jack’s, Caribbean Club, Jimmy Johnson’s Big Chill, Dead Animal Bar, Dockside Tropical Cafe, and finally Tailhook Rum Bar on Key West. A few of those places I had never been before and was excited to check out. So excited that the first three stops took three hours and we had only traveled and grand totally of 10 miles and hadn’t even left Key Largo yet. That’s what happens when you get Castaways together!
Here’s a photo tour of our journey down the Florida Keys. Not mentioned in this story is our drive over the Seven Mile Bridge, I got some great video of our trip over the bridge, but I’m still trying to figure out if what we did was illegal or not. All I can say is EPIC FUN my friends! (Lead photo was taken by Randall D. – part of the Seven Mile fun!)
Bouncing Down The Florida Keys
Looking back at the photos now, I wish we could do it all over again. Leaving is always so bitter sweet.
I didn’t get any photos at Big Chill or Dockside Tropical Cafe. Jimmy Johnson’s Big Chill is a giant sports bar, which is awesome, but I’m more a fan of interesting little hole-in-the-wall type places when I’m in the Keys. Dockside Tropical Cafe, owned by Eric Stone and Kim Hess will be opening this coming fall. It’s a great place tucked away in a marina on Marathon, you can check out the Dockside Tropical Cafe Facebook page here.
Cheers to taking the road to the end of the line.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page