After one sip, you’ll be Jamaican mi crazy!
Has rum changed history? Can it change a person’s path in life? I believe “YES” is the answer to both of those questions. Today’s Boat Drink recipe comes to us from Castaway Mixologist Jeremy McDaniel, and he tell his story of how a rum cocktail might have changed American history.
“History is my job. As a high school history teacher I obviously have a love of history, which is another reason why I think I gravitate towards rum. Rum goes hand in hand with American history (you MUST read Wayne Curtis book “And a Bottle of Rum”). This cocktail is a variation of Boston Rum Punch (dark Jamaican Rum and Lemonade) which was the drink of choice in colonial Boston “fueling” feelings of independence and revolution! David Wondrich via liquor.com offered this simple yet wonderful cocktail. This is my variation.”
Jamaica Plain Punch
(Jamaica Plain is a neighborhood in Beantown)
- 2oz – 3oz each of
- Simply Lemonade
- Simply Lemonade w/Mango
- 2oz Jamaican Rum (any Appleton, Wray and Nephew, Myers, Smith and Cross, Blackwell)
- 2-3 dashes Angostura Bitters
Mixing Instructions: Shake all with cracked ice. Strain in highball glass with ice and top with nutmeg. Raise glass and toast.
I do think rum has affected people’s lives and also world history. Rum can inspire creative thought and has lubricated the talents of many writers, painters and leaders. Rum can also take people down a less responsible road, so please drink responsibly.
Rum has obviously had a huge impact on the Caribbean ever since the first Europeans found their way here. Not all that history is pretty, but it has built the foundation for the islands that we love so much. History in a glass.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page