This week’s featured artist is Mishka, one of my favorites. His song Higher Heights has a lot of layers to it. It talks about political divide, the rich and poor, taking care of nature, and the differences in people from all around the world. I think that deep “unity” vibe is what makes reggae so powerful and cross cultural.
Funny story. My freshman year in college at Pittsburg State I was assigned a dorm roommate whom I’ve never met before. Oddly enough his name was also Ryan. We settle in and I notice he put up a poster with Jim Morrison, Bob Marley and Mick Jagger. At the time I wasn’t into that type of music but didn’t pay to much attention to it. Then one day we got into a big fight and I made fun of his musical tastes, at the time my only notion of Bob Marley was he was a pot smoking Jamaican. How ignorant and closed minded I was. I look back on that incident and feel 3 inches tall. It’s good that we mature and open our minds to new experiences as we get older, I think that’s what Mishka’s Higher Heights is trying to tell us.
Mishka – Higher Heights
Cheers to being open minded.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page