There’s good news out of Norman Island in the BVI. Many of you heard the news a couple month ago about Pirate’s Bight catching fire and burning down. Bad news indeed. Well here’s some good news, it seems that if everything goes smoothly the popular beach bar and restaurant will be reopening in just a few days.
UPDATE: It’s open!
The fire happened on October 1st, right before season. Devastating to the owner Dr. Henry Jarecki, the staff and the boaters that frequent the beach bar. But through the darkness came some sunshine. Dr. Jarecki continued to pay his staff during the closure and the rebuilding process that started shortly after the fire is moving swiftly.
We all know that things in the Caribbean tend to happen at a slower pace, hence the popular phrase “Island Time.” So it was any one’s guess on when Pirate’s Bight would be back up and running. Fast forward almost two months and Pirate’s Bight is nearly back open for business. Island Time didn’t have an effect on this construction project!
Here’s what our good friends at NewsofStJohn.com had to say…
They’ve constructed a temporary bar and makeshift restaurant to the left of the dock and it looks quite nice. (The restaurant that burned down was located to the right of the dock.) The manager hopes to reopen Thursday, but it may take an extra day or two for it to happen. Either way, it looks like one of News of St. John’s off island spots will be back in business by the weekend. Thank goodness for that!
As far as the main building is concerned, that area is also undergoing construction. Concrete was being poured Tuesday and the structure is going to be rebuilt very soon. That area is expected to reopen completely by February.
Hopefully the main building progresses just as quickly as the temporary bar and is better than ever! Looking forward to paying Pirate’s Bight a visit next year.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page