They are known as the “Island Girls,” that’s what the two ships of Island Windjammers are nicknamed. They cruise the Caribbean blue taking guests to islands many cruise liners can’t get to. But it’s not just the exotic ports-of-call that makes sailing these Island Girls special, it’s the entire package. It’s the food, it’s the intimacy with fellow passengers and crew, it’s swizzle hour, and it’s letting the trade winds push you through the sea.
Many of you know I sailed on the Diamant, Island Girl #1, a couple years ago. We sailed north from Grenada and island hopped through the Grenadines, visiting places like Bequia, Mayreau, the Tobago Cays, and Union Island. It was a solo journey, but I was never alone, becoming good friends with passengers like the “Bama Babes”, and the one and only Blaise. It was an amazing experience, one I think about often.
The Sagitta, Island Girl #2, makes the Leeward Islands home, and like her sister, she visits some pretty amazing islands. Here is a visual rundown of the islands that Sagitta visits on her 6-day itinerary.
Home port of St. Maarten
(Photo from Magazine.FourSeasons.com)
St. Eustatius (Statia)
(Photo via maja.g on Flickr)
Some pretty amazing islands to be sure. I’ve heard that the itinerary of ports is flexible. For example, if all the passengers would rather visit Saba instead of St. Eustatius, the sailing schedule can be altered. You’ll never find personalization like that on a large cruise line. It’s just another reason why Island Windjammers is such a special company.
If you’ve sailed on the Diamant or Sagitta I would love to hear about your experience. Leave a comment below and tell everyone about your sail.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page