(A guide to the Dominican Republic by Thomas Cook.)
The Dominican Republic is a Caribbean favorite for both couples and families alike. The crystal clear waters and fine white sand lined with luscious green palms are just the start of the attraction to this tropical island. The terrain is a refreshing mixture of rainforests, mangrove swamps and savannas. It’s littered with hidden historic gems from early cave dwellings to the oldest European settlement in the New World, located at Santo Domingo.
Punta Cana is a hot spot for golfers with impressive courses complete with superb sea views. The beaches stretch for miles and are perfect for laid-back sunbathing. Bavaro is a bustling resort full of bars, shops and restaurants, while Uvero Alto offers a more tranquil vibe when it comes to nightlife. An impressive coral reef attracts scuba-divers and an array of other water sports and beach activities can be found here.
Playa Dorada is a gated resort full of all-inclusive hotels; it’s a perfect choice for the ultimate beach getaway. A 2km stretch of the finest powdery sands and glittering waters engulf the superb complex which has everything you would expect and more for a tropical escape. There are plenty of shops and bars to keep you going and a short taxi ride takes you to a more traditional scene at Puerto Plata, with markets and tavernas at hand. A great place to visit here is Ocean World, where you can interact with magnificent marine life such as dolphins, sting rays and sharks – if you dare!
Bahia Maimon takes life even slower than its neighboring resorts, the scene is seriously chilled – kick-back and relax on unspoiled serene shores whilst looking out at the picture perfect Aquamarine waters. If you do fancy a bit of activity there are water sports on offer or you could take a trip to the Corderilla Central Mountains.
There is a great selection of all-inclusive hotels in Thomas Cook website which offer some fantastic facilities from relaxing massage parlors to roof-top terraces, gyms and saunas. Many of them are in the best spots for sublime sea views. From Latin beats at barbecue beach parties to chilling out on a hammock, you won’t be disappointed with holidays in Dominican Republic, a far-away paradise.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page