While it’s the islands that dazzle the senses when traveling to the Caribbean, it’s often the people you meet that make the trip something special and truly memorable. I had been fantasizing about St. Maarten, Anguilla, Nevis, St. Kitts, and St. Barths for quite sometime, and while the islands were beyond beautiful, it was the crew and fellow Sagitta passengers that made my solo journey one I’ll remember for a long long time.
Things like drinking Killbees with my new Canadian friends, taking a local bus taxi on St. Maarten with Todd and Tina, staying up late and sipping rum with Gerry the crazy Irishman, listening to the amazing sea stories of Captain Nervo, getting life advice from Harry and Lyman, or stuffing 10 people into my small solo cabin for a group photo all made this trip on Island Windjammers‘ Sagitta a special experience.
Here are a few photos the cast and crew.
Alan, Gerry, and myself at Sunshine’s Beach Bar on Nevis.
The Sagitta can accommodate up to 24 passengers, double of what her sister ship the Diamant can do, but still a small enough number to give you an intimate experience and the chance to learn everyone’s name. This is the real way to cruise the Caribbean. A huge mega-liner can’t compare to an experience like this, plus there’s no bar bill at the end!
The crew of Sagitta was simply fantastic. The crew of the Diamant gave Sagitta’s crew some pretty big expectations to live up to, but they were just as personable and caring.
Lenny the head cook was the star of the show, what cook isn’t though. Every time he rang that bell it was instant salivation, just like Pavlov and his dogs.
Meet Captain Nervo and one bald Castaway.
Here is our outstanding crew, one guy is hidden on the left.
Lenny was popular with the ladies!
That’s nine of us…can we fit one more?
Again, I can’t say enough about the captain and crew, they took care of our every need and made sure everyone had the time of their lives. I’m also proud to call my fellow passengers new friends and hope our island paths cross again in the future. Thank you to everyone for showing this castaway a grand time on the high seas.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page