What can I say about St. Kitts that hasn’t already been said, it’s just a special special place. The people, the lush rainforest, the beach bars–St. Kitts has a little bit of everything, but still holds on to that rustic old-world Caribbean vibe.
This Island Lime Video features the soothing waves of South Frigate Bay, or better known as “The Strip”. The Strip is the main entertainment area on St. Kitts, it’s a stretch of sand located a few miles south of the capital town of Basseterre and just a couple minutes drive from the large St. Kitts Marriott Resort. The Strip is a beach bar lover’s paradise.
This was my second visit to St. Kitts and we definitely arrived in style sailing in on the tall ship Sagitta from Island Windjammers. Frigate Bay was our evening anchorage giving us passengers a relaxing afternoon on the beach and a truly special beach-side BBQ dinner in front of the Shiggidy Shack beach bar.
There was dancing, there was music, there was amazing food prepared by Lenny, Saggita’s master chef–it was a special night.
When I came ashore to shoot this video I was meet by Castaway Joe S. that was following the live photo updates on Facebook. This gentleman and his wife have been visiting St. Kitts a few times a year for many many years and he was gracious enough to give me a tour of the beach bars on Frigate Bay. Joe told me about each one, the history, the owners, the bars that have come and the bars that have gone. It was a great experience.
During that impromptu tour I shot this Island Lime Video. Relax with the waves, the dark sand, and the looming sister island of Nevis in the background.
It was still early in the day and many beach bars on The Strip were not yet open. It was quiet and relaxing. I enjoyed a couple cold Caribs and quietly soaked in the atmosphere of the moment. Like I said, there’s just something special about this island.
Here are a few photos from my walk down The Strip.
Above is the Shiggidy Shack. It might not look like much from the outside but it’s a one of the best places on The Strip. Here, “limers” can enjoy a roaring bonfire, live music, karaoke or even a fire-eating show, depending on the night. Shiggidy Shack is also an excellent place to sample great Kittitian cuisine in a true island setting.
The beautiful Sagitta at anchor just off Frigate Bay, St. Kitts.
Ahhhhhh, St. Kitts.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page