After one sip, you’ll be walking the Malecón.
I don’t get all worked up about celebrities and never seek them out in places they might frequent. In saying that, there’s something that dances up my spine when walking in the footsteps of Ernest Hemingway. I don’t know if it’s because we share the same adventure seeking spirit, a student of the written word, or we both love to look down at the bottom of a rum bottle–but Hemingway’s ways speak to me.
As fellow Castaways and I explored the narrow dusty streets of Bimini, we made an all too important stop at the ruins of the Complete Angler. The Complete Angler use to be a small bar and hotel where Hemingway often found himself, but it burnt down many years ago. We just so happened to have a bottle of Papa’s Pilar rum with us and the four of us all did a pull off the bottle in the old man’s name. Yes, those tingles danced the jig up and down my entire body during that toast. Cheers to Sketchy for bringing the bottles!
Like I said, I don’t chase celebrities, but the fact that he has passed away and his legend continues on after so many years, makes seeking out his old stomping grounds a guilty pleasure.
Next up, Havana?
Today’s boat drink recipe comes to us from Papa’s Pilar Rum and it’s called the Old Havana. Created by mixologist, Bryan Dayton, the Old Havana is a unique cocktail you’ll find yourself mixing time and time again.
Old Havana Drink Recipe
- 1.5oz Papa’s Pilar Dark Rum
- .5oz Sweet Vermouth
- Ginger Beer
Mixing Instructions: Stir together rum and vermouth. Serve on the rocks in an old fashioned glass. Fill glass with ginger beer and garnish with grapefruit. Raise glass and toast.
The name was what first attracted me to this drink. Havana was also one of Hemingway’s favorite homes and the fact that US-Cuban relations are beginning to thaw, make me tingle. (Lots of tingling in the post!) The chance for we Americans to walk in Papa’s footsteps in this forbidden land might soon be possible. A Castaway Cruise destination…it could be in the works.
As always, let me know what you think about this cocktail. I’m always eager to know what you think.
- Get your flight with Skyscanner or AirfarewatchDog (between them, you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page