Florida’s Top Craft Rum Producer Wicked Dolphin is releasing a very special limited reserve on July 2nd 2015, at the Wicked Dolphin Rum Distillery in Cape Coral, Florida a unique Rum The USS Mohawk CGC Reserve.
Five Wicked Dolphin Rum barrels filled with distilled water were sent 90 feet down to the USS Mohawk Veterans Memorial Reef last week, and then raised 72 hours later. This batch will be used to craft the Florida distiller’s latest offering: Sunken Barrel USS Mohawk CGC Reserve.
Wicked Dolphin Rum and Lee Reefs have partnered to create the limited edition rum to benefit the Lee Reefs program and Special Operations Bionic Warriors – a foundation that ensures wounded, injured or ill U.S. Special Operations veterans/athletes receive state-of-the art adaptive sports equipment, coaching and access to cutting-edge sports science that will ensure achievement of their athletic goals.
“The USS Mohawk CGC Veterans Memorial Reef and Bionic Warriors have a common interest in showing appreciation for the contributions of veterans,” said Mike Campbell, Lee Reefs’ executive director. “This project is a symbolic tribute to them all.”
The barrel sinking at the Mohawk reef site comes just three years after the Mohawk was sunk for use as a veteran’s memorial reef. One hundred percent of the profits will be use to benefit both artificial reefs and the ongoing efforts of the Bionic Warriors.
The rum will be available July 2, 2015 at Wicked Dolphin Distillery, based in Cape Coral. It’s a limited edition sold in 750 ml bottles at $39.99. There will be 200 signature bottles sold with the name “Sunken Barrel USS Mohawk CGC Reserve.”
“We’re proud to be able to create this special rum to honor the spirit of our servicemen – past and present,” said Wicked Dolphin Distillery owner, JoAnn Elardo. “The Mohawk Reef is a wonderful setting to bring this product to life.”
The USS Mohawk CGC has become a premier dive destination in Florida. During its short time as a memorial reef it has been visited by numerous whale sharks, hosted an underwater art gallery, and now, on the third anniversary of her sinking, a new signature product emerges as her legacy continues to grow.
About Wicked Dolphin Distillery
Started in 2012, Wicked Dolphin Distillery is located in Cape Coral; just miles from the fertile sugarcane fields of Florida. Wicked Dolphin Rum was born out of an idea to create true Florida rum. Using 100 percent Florida sugar and local ingredients, the rum is handcrafted in small batches using an American copper pot still – the largest in South Florida. The family-run distillery produces award-winning rums available throughout Florida and the Southeastern United States.
Underwater HD video and still footage of the rum barrel deployment and retrieval, interviews and more can be found by clicking on http://wickeddolphinmedia.com
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page